20 Years Long Residence
A person who has lived in the UK for 20 years continuously can apply for limited leave to remain under paragraph 276ADE of the Immigration Rules.
Continuous residence is defined in paragraph 276A of the Immigration Rules. Continuous residence means residence in the UK for an unbroken period. For the purposes of long residence, a period is not considered broken if the applicant:
- was absent from the UK for six months or less at any one time, and
- had existing leave to enter or remain upon their departure and return.
If the application is successful, the applicant will be granted leave to remain for 30 months under the 10 years route to settlement.
Events that break continuous residence
Continuous residence is considered to be broken if the applicant has:
- been absent from the UK for a period of more than six months at any one time, or is absent from the UK for a shorter period but does not have valid leave to enter the UK on their return, or valid leave to remain on their departure from the UK
- been removed or deported from the UK, or has left the UK following refusal of leave to enter or remain
- left the UK and by doing so, showed a clear intention not to return
- left the UK under circumstances in which they could have no real chance of returning to the UK lawfully
- been convicted of an offence and been given a custodial sentence, or ordered to be detained in an institution other than a prison, such as a hospital or young offenders institute, not including suspended sentences
- spent a total of 18 months outside the UK throughout the whole 20 year period.
Why ICS Legal For Your Application To Extend Your Stay On The Basis Of 20 years Long Residence?
The immigration lawyers at ICS Legal are experts in dealing with applications for leave to remain on the basis of 20 years long residence. The quality of our service is self-evident from the reviews of our clients about the service provided by our immigration lawyers. You can contact us if you are seeking legal help from immigration lawyers in London in relation to your application for stay on the basis of 20 years long residence and our immigration solicitors will provide you fast, friendly, reliable and professional immigration service.