UK Settlement Visa

After you have lived legally in the UK for a certain length of time, you may be able to apply for permission to settle in the UK. Settlement visa is also known as ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’. If you are currently in the UK, your right to apply for settlement will depend on your current immigration category whereas if you are applying to enter the UK as the child of a British citizen or a person who is settled here, you may obtain immediate permission to settle here permanently.

If you wish to apply for settlement visa (indefinite leave to remain) we can help you with your application and queries. Our expert team of lawyers can assist you with the preparation of your visa application and ensure that you meet with all the requirements of the relevant Immigration Rules. We will ensure that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence thereby leading to a successful application and avoiding unnecessary expense of re submitting your application to the Home Office.

Qualifying criteria for Settlement Visa/Indefinite Leave to Remain

To meet the requirements of Settlement Visas/Indefinite Leave to Remain:

  • You must spend a number of years in the UK, depending on your immigration status, before you can apply for permanent residence.
  • You will need to show that you will continue to meet the requirements of your current visa to be eligible for ILR.
  • You need to stay in the UK for most of the time that you have held your Visa.
  • You must also plan to remain present and settled in the UK.
  • You will need to pass the ‘Life in the UK’ test and have a speaking and listening qualification in English.

The following are examples of how many years you must have spent in the UK on the different types of Visas

  • Ancestry- 5 years.
  • Work permit, HSMP, Tier 1 General, Investors, Tier 1 Investor, Artists, composers, Writers, Sole representatives, Business Person, Tier 1 Entrepreneur- 5 years.
  • The unmarried partner of a UK national or a person settled in the UK, Marriage to a UK national or a person settled in the UK- 2 years.
  • Marriage to EEA national, EEA national and family members- 5 years.
  • Any combination of unlawful or lawful stay- 20 years.
  • Any combination of lawful stay- 10 years.

What we can do for you to ensure your Settlement Visa/ Indefinite Leave to Remain case is successful

  • Detailed assessment of your personal circumstances.
  • We can ensure that we have the correct documents to support and strengthen your case.
  • We can complete and submit your Settlement Visa/ ILR application.
  • Keep you updated in regards to your application.

What happens once you have obtained Settlement Visa/ Indefinite Leave to Remain

  • You will have unrestricted entry to the UK.
  • You will be free to work within the UK with no restrictions.
  • There is no time limit with a UK Settlement Visa ; however, it is always recommended that if you have Settled status in the UK you should not spend more than two years outside of the United Kingdom (Living outside of the UK for an extended period may result in your ILR being cancelled.)
  • If you are away from the United Kingdom, you should maintain personal and financial ties to the UK. Staying in the UK for a short period of time each year for a number of years may also lead to ILR being withdrawn.

Contact us for a successful Settlement Visa / Indefinite Leave to Remain application

Our Immigration Experts are able to give specialist legal information and advice in this area of law. To contact one of our Immigration lawyers, please complete our legal case assessment form and we will get in touch or call us now on 020 7237 3388 for a free telephone assessment and a free case assessment.